As we kick into high gear this fall season – with work, school and extra curricular activities – you may find it challenging to have the entire family sit around the table to eat wholesome nutritious meals. It is during this season, that we begin to feel rundown and look for that quick fix to keep our energy levels up – not to mention fighting off colds and flu that thrive during this time.
Here are some quick tips on how to stay healthy and energized on the go….
- Chop celery and carrots and keep in water in the fridge for quick snack. Serve with hummus, tziki, bean dips
- Apples, pears, bananas are quick portable snack
- Dried apricots (unsulphured) and figs
- Home made trail mix made with toasted oats, raisins, dried fruits such as cranberries, blueberries, apricots and nuts such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, pecans
- Smoothies made with nut milk, fruit juice, yogurt and fresh fruit – whey protein powder can be added for extra protein
- Baked sweet potato fries or crisps
- Homemade soups/stews and rice, legume and bean salads can be made in advance and portions frozen