“Stomach flu”… though usually relatively harmless, can sometimes be powerful enough to make you feel like you’re at death’s door! It seems to sweep through households like a windstorm, often hitting one member of the family after another, or even worse, hitting everyone at the same time. There are very few things more miserable than trying to take care of a sick child, while you are running for the bucket every few minutes yourself!
Here’s what to do if you know someone at work or in the house is sick. These tips will boost your immune system, and help your body kill off any bug that is trying to take hold:
- Oregano oil: 3-4 drops in a little water or juice, every 2 hours for 2 days.
- Probiotics: Genestra brand HMF Forte is a great probiotic. Take 2 capsules, 2 times per day with meals.
- Vitamin C: 1000mg, 3-4 times per day with meals. Make sure to buy buffered or esterified Vitamin C (Natural Factors, Genestra or Sisu are good choices)
- Lots of clear fluids (at least 2 litres of water, diluted fruit juices, soup broth)
- Avoid all sugary, greasy or processed foods, as well as refined carbs.
- Pump up on raw fruit and veggies.
- Buy or make a spray bottle containing distilled water, thyme and lavender essential oils and spray this regularly through your house or office throughout the day. The oils have antiviral and antibacterial properties to kill off bugs floating around in the air.
- Open windows for a period of time each day to air out rooms where sick people have been.
Homeopathic remedies are amazing at halting the “stomach flu” in its track if you do happen to get sick. For advice about what remedy is right for your symptoms, consult a homeopathic doctor for individualized treatment. Most homeopaths will do over-the- phone consultations in acute situations so you do not have to drag yourself to the clinic or worry about leaving the proximity of your bathroom!
It’s a good idea to plan ahead because when the stomach flu hits, it can hit hard! Homeopathic and nutritional support can have you back to normal in no time, so keep these tips in mind and keep your body strong this winter!